Friday, November 7, 2008

the un-excitement of the week

Not much on my mind today, but do feel a great deal better than yesterday, or the day before. On Wednesday I had my first prenatal appointment, and the only slot they had open was 8:30 am. Fine for me, but I have 2 boys that I have worked on getting them to sleep until that time for my own benefit. Not only that, but I needed to talk to the financial counsellor before the appointment, making me have to be there at 8. So, I faithfully make up some pb&j sandwiches and milk cups for the boys, wake them and plunk them directly in their car seats and drive off to town. I get there right at 8 (and you moms know how hard it is to actually get somewhere on time) and tell them what the deal is, and they tell me to just wait as S (her name) isn't in yet. I wait, and wait, and wait, and then find out she had a meeting today and won't be in until afternoon.(she did call and apologize that afternoon, so she's forgiven) So, they are late getting me back for the appointment, so I have sat a total of an hour in the waiting room with 2 tired (but happy, thankfully) boys when we all could have been sleeping. Oh, did I mention that I had 'slept' half the night in the LazBoy with James as he was already not feeling well and was tossing and turning and crying if he wasn't in my lap? Needless to say waiting that long would have been fine any other day, but today? I just didn't need that. The appointment went fine from then on, and my due date is officially April 23, so we'll see what actually happens. To add to the excitement, Tuesday Luke had the flu, and Thursday James awoke in the night with it. At least they both didn't have it at the same time, because two puking kids would just be bad news. Luke is luckily old enough to handle it pretty good, but James still needs alot of assistance. And although I've dealt with my share of sickness in my nursing career (think of the Mesa ER with all it's old people and post-op surgery floors -full of puking), I still don't handle it too well. It all started when I was a pretty new nurse and a sweet old man was coughing and I handed him a Kleenex and at that exact moment he coughed so hard he threw up into my gloveless hand. I've just never been the same. (my apologies to those of a weak stomach) ;) I did get our budget figured and honed in this week, so now the challenge is to live by it!! That'll be the hard part, but I know will pay off (Greg had to turn down an offer for a hand made Nicarauguan (sp?) guitar that he wanted the first day we were on track, but I'm sure we'll survive, we just had to laugh at the irony of it) Not that we needed a guitar, as neither of us even know how to play. Definitely not a necessity.