Friday, September 12, 2008

Raising Boys

Although my boys are only 3 and 1, and only the eldest is talking, I have been overwhelmed by the amount of boy talk and stuff my life contains. Mostly due to the fact that I don't have answers to the million technical questions that a 3 year old boy comes up with. Also, because on any given day, my life is filled with questions and comments that surround every aspect of machinery, aircraft, railroad, wildlife and just general car/truck information. On a regular trip to town, the one sided conversation goes something like this: (as in one big runon sentence that doesn't end) "Mommy, why is there no deer on the road today? When are we going to see a raccoon? What type of car was that that just went by? Are we going to atama-washington? What's in that dump truck? There's a big ship, what is on it? Where is it going? Why does the Amtrak go so fast? Can we ride the Amtrak someday? Where are the freight trains today? Where do they get their diesel from? Is that a flatbed or a tractor-trailer truck? Where is it's hitch? Where is it going? Can we stop at the park? (as we near the exit to the park) Why are there so many boats in the water? What are they fishing for? What type of salmon are they catching? Can we go fishing for salmon too?" You get the picture. As all parents likely know, you can't just answer each question with a "hmm" or "uh-huh", but must give an in depth detailed answer or else the question gets asked again and again until a satisfactory answer is given. I find it quite humorous that this has gone on for many months and last winter while our son was still in speech therapy, they suggested putting him in a special class to get him to talk more. I said, "well, I think he talks quite alot when he's in a comfortable situation" meaning that he didn't care for their in-your-face-funniest-loudest-person around attitude that scares more kids than it ever entices. So, I'm wondering...do girls talk about these same things, or what do they endlessly chatter about at age 3, since I have no experience in that area? And I can tell there's much more to come! The questions just probably get harder to answer though, right?