Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Today I commend the old(er) ladies

So, I'm wondering...after a day full of making pickles, canning pears and coming up next...tuna...how did those women in the days before ever have time to care for their children? My boys get severely neglected (meaning playing outside on the deck for hours, and they aren't complaining) and I'm wondering how would one do all the work with a baby? I know they didn't have a choice back then, but what happened to the babies if you didn't have older kids or a mother-in-law nearby? I can't imagine canning with a baby in a front pack or nearby anywhere for that matter. And how did they get the produce out of their gardens in the first place. I was fortunate enough to get mine cheaply from various sources, as my garden didn't really produce enough to store away (maybe next year), but I just don't know how one would/could manage it all! Here's a pat on the back to my Grandmas and all the women before them who managed to juggle it all and still keep their babies happy. I am excited for all the produce we've put away so far...it'll make the winter a bit more enticing. (peaches, pears, dill pickles, sweet pickles, 3 kinds of jam, tuna, blueberries, green beans, marionberries...mmmm)