Thursday, July 12, 2018

When Mercy Goes to Work




One of my favorite things I enjoy as a homeschool mama is to sit on the couch and read books with my kids as we cuddle (the other top one is going on walks with them).  We try to do this every day, as a way to connect, but also learn and grow together.  I start with board books for the toddlers, and we work up to chapter books for the older kids while the little kids play quietly (or try to!) on the floor nearby.   

Last winter one of the books we read was called Created For Work, written by a man who lives nearby in Oregon.  The book is focused on teaching children to look at work as a privilege not a drudgery.  We all enjoyed the stories he told, but I especially enjoyed the chapter on mercy.  I have to say that I never really understood mercy very well, until I read this book.