Well, it's been far too long since I've written, and perhaps I shouldn't even be writing today, but somehow it feels like I should too. The past 18 months (since Levi was born) have been a flurry of brain fog, tiredness and always feeling 2-3 steps behind. I honestly haven't had the brain power to write, much as my desires might have been to write and clear my muddled head. I guess 6 kids will do that to a mama. I've been working on improving all of our health, since that always plummets due to the lack of sleep and quick, easy meals that often aren't as nutritious as they should be (more mommy guilt). Yep, that's the way it is. So, here's the books I've been reading lately. All gems, no duds this time. That makes me happy!
This is the most recent one I've read. It was gifted to me, and was so uplifting and encouraging on our Christian walk. Just what I needed! I think in this past year I've been most thankful for God's grace, and this book encourages us to take advantage of His grace again and again. No matter how we feel weak, stumble, have regrets and failures, or dreams fallen by the wayside; His grace is new each day. His love never fails, even when we feel like we do. Especially when we do. Excellent book with lovely artwork.
This next book was a real eye-opener for me. I'm one of the millions whose bought into the lie that we need more calcium (mainly from advertising). This is a doctor from Alaska who wanted better outcomes for his patients (Ob/Gyn- less preterm births, less birth defects, less infant death and failure to thrive). He found out that the majority of the nation has too much calcium, and not enough of all the other minerals we need. We could solve a lot of health problems by increasing our trace minerals and decreasing our calcium. Less cavities, anyone? (yep, too much calcium, too little of the other minerals that make teeth strong). Regretfully my children have taken on my lack of minerals with their health challenges too. The baby has the exact mineral status footprint as the mother, he also found out. His easiest remedy is to start using mineral filled salt (Real Salt) instead of ordinary table salt, in liberal amounts. None of this reduced salt stuff, as he explains in the book.
"If you believe that bones are made of calcium, you have subscribed to The Calcium Lie. You’re not alone. Most consumers and, surprisingly, most doctors, believe that bones are made of calcium. Yet any basic biochemistry textbook will tell you the truth: Bones are made of at least a dozen minerals and we need all of them in perfect proportions in order to have healthy bones and healthy bodies. If you get too much calcium, through food sources or by taking supplements, you set yourself up for an array of negative health consequences, including obesity, Type 2 diabetes, Type 2 hypothyroidism, hypertension, depression, problem pregnancies and more. " -from the Amazon review of the book
The next two books I read at the recommendation of a friend. She took a writer's conference this past summer, and this author was the keynote speaker. She was raised Muslim in Iran, and became a Christian and now writes Christian fiction. I don't usually read fiction, and especially not Biblical stuff (comparing it to the Biblical accounts often comes up short), but I decided to try these. Excellent books. Her word usage, metaphors, and everything else makes her an excellent author. Bread of Angels is the story of Lydia, and In the Fields Of Grace is the story of Ruth. She does an awesome job of adding to the real account in a way that doesn't detract from the real thing.
The next two books are written by a Psychologist and Family Physician, and are the results of 20+ years in practice. He talks about the epidemics facing our boys and girls today, and offers practical solutions on what to do with them. I have to say that many of them don't affect homeschooled kids, but it's good to be aware of them, and make changes if we see warning signs.
For boys, the risks are: changes at school (more books too early, less activity), video games, stimulant medications for ADHD, endocrine disruptorsand the end result is: Failure to Launch. The fifth is: the revenge of the forsaken gods (forsaking rites and rituals to manhood which boys strive for)
For girls they are: four factors that are threatening the mental and physical health of young women today: a culture that sexualizes young girls; the “cyberbubble” of social networking and electronic communication; obsessive behaviors, including eating disorders; and environmental toxins that disrupt the endocrine system and lead to early-onset puberty
Thankfully he offers many solutions if your child is facing any of these challenges. It doesn't have to be a downhill slope. He also wrote a book called Why Gender Matters and The Collapse of Parenting that I am waiting to read as well. Good stuff.





