Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Kefir, kefir, wonderful kefir!

We've been drinking kefir for a few years now, trying to increase everyone's health and well-being around here (a constant job for this mama!)  I have to say that we are much healthier overall than we were 5 years ago, although with having 5+1 kids, there's always something or someone to tend to.

One of the best benefits of kefir is it's probiotic effects on the digestive tract.  If you suffer from any sorts of digestive ailments, kefir can help.  If you are lactose intolerant, don't worry.  In the process of culturing the kefir, the lactose is eaten up and it can be tolerated by most lactose intolerance people.  If your milk sensitivity is to the casein (milk protein), the pasteurization or the homogenization, then you likely will have to find a milk that works for you and then culture it.  Goats milk and raw cows milk are alternate milk sources that many people can tolerate.  If none of these milks work for you, look into water kefir which has many of the same attributes as milk kefir.  We drink both varieties around here and they're super easy (and cheap) to make yourself.  The main jobs of probiotics are to keep bad bacteria in check (salmonella, e. coli anyone, H. pylori?), to break down foods and to keep your immune system strong.  80% of your immune system is in the gut, so keeping it healthy will keep you healthy. (source)

Kefir also makes all the vitamins and minerals in milk more absorb-able by the body, thus increasing your body's overall health.  Even if kefir is heated (as in pancakes or baked goods), the probiotic effects are lost but the bioavailability of the nutrients is still increased greatly.  I use kefir in most places where you would normally use milk or buttermilk such as pancakes, cornbread, biscuits, etc.  Kefir is also great for reducing carbs in your diet.  Because it is cultured, the carbohydrates are eaten up and you're left with just the nutrients (proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals, and probiotics).  Because too many carbs can spike and fluctuate blood sugar, kefir is an excellent alternative to straight milk because it keeps blood sugar stable (unless you're drinking the kinds that are full of sugar!)

Kefir can also reduce allergy symptoms due to the fact that it increased good bacteria and helps to heal the gut.  An overactive immune system is often a sign of a leaky gut, and kefir can not only help stamp out the bad guys that are causing the trouble, but also help to heal the gut lining to prevent future allergy problems.

I have tried making kefir from grains two different times and they didn't work very well for me. When I bought the dehydrated grains, they need to rehydrate and somehow I pushed them right through my fine strainer and lost them down the drain while trying to rinse them (they crumbled).  I then tried real grains (much larger) from a friend, but they ended up just as thick in my kefir and it was very hard to strain them out when the kefir was thickened.  

Instead of buying the premade packets of kefir starter, I just make my own from a bottle of store bought kefir (thanks to my sister-in-law R for the idea).  Apparently the starter packets only have about 7 strains of probiotics, the Lifeway brand I buy at the store has 10-12, and the grains have 30+ strains.  So, take your pick of which way you'd like to make them, as they all will benefit you. We make smoothies out of it a couple times each week (that's the only form my older kids will tolerate) and the two little kids will drink it plain & straight since I've had them drinking it ever since they started drinking milk from a cup.  For the toddlers, I usually mix half kefir/half milk in their sippy cups so that it's thin enough to drink through the spout.  Use a little jam or honey or flavored stevia to sweeten if you like.

Here's a basic overview of what I do for milk kefir:

  • Put 1-4 tablespoons of kefir grains (or your store bought kefir) into a quart jar. The more you use, the faster it will culture.
  • Add around 4 cups of milk, preferably organic or even raw. Milk from grass-fed cows is healthiest. Leave one inch of room at the top of the jar. (no need to scald milk as you would for yogurt)
  • You can add some full-fat cream if you want the kefir to be thicker.
  • Put the lid on and leave it for 12-36 hours, at room temperature. That’s it.
Once it starts to look clumpy/thickened, it is ready. Then gently shake the jar before using and refrigerate to keep.
Delicious, nutritious and highly sustainable.
Now on to Water Kefir~
The benefits are pretty much the same and the process is easy too.  You just have to remember to do it.  I bought my grains from Cultures for Health and have been using the same ones for a few years now.  Mine don't seem to grow as some peoples do, but I think it's more to do with our water than the process.  I got my grains dehydrated, so had to re-hydrate them as per instructions first.  Then they're ready to go.
-Take water kefir grains (I use about 1/4 c. for a 1/2 gallon jar) and add to jar.
-Add 1/2 c. natural sugar (organic cane sugar, Rapadura, raw sugar) Do not use white sugar or honey or sugar substitutes.
-Fill jar with water and stir to dissolve sugar (don't use hot water or you'll kill your cultures, lukewarm is best). Put on a lid loosely or cover with fabric (I use a coffee filter with an elastic band)  It needs to be able to release gases, so don't cap it tightly (yet!)
-Set in a corner or cupboard for 24-48 hours.  Strain out grains with a fine plastic strainer and repeat.
-Flavor as desired with juices or fruit and drink up.
Or drink it straight with nothing added.  Or you can rebottle it in bail-top bottles and make soda out of it. You can also add molasses, raisins or other dried fruit to it to increase nutrient content.  The grains will love you too.  The longer you leave it, the more sugars will be eaten up, but don't go more than 48 hours or you can kill off your grains.  It becomes bitter if you leave it longer than that as well  (not that I'd ever forget about it, haha!)
Good luck!