Although I'm fully aware of how healthy squash is, I don't really care for it. At all. But, don't tell my kids that! But, I keep trying to like it. This soup makes it taste good, even for me who doesn't like it. It also keeps the squash in chunks rather than pureeing it like as most squash soup recipes do.
Back about 8 years ago, Greg and I went on a rare date to a fancy restaurant. Someone was watching our kid and we were going to enjoy a quiet dinner. It was a very rainy, wet night in Astoria which is quite possibly the rainiest town in North America. It was quite a fancy place, and a soup appetizer sounded appealing. Hot soup with bread on a cold night...bliss! Wrong. When the waitress brought it out, it turns out they failed to mention that it was chilled squash soup. Whatever the chef was thinking to serve such an item in the depths of winter, I have no idea. It was one of those places that would have been highly offended if we had suggested to microwave it for a minute or two. So, we choked it down. I liken it to slurping baby food. Neither of us can handle blended soups of any sort to this day.
But, this soup isn't like that. It's full of textures and flavors which are just delicious. I got this one from my friend Donna as well, and she got it from her sister-in-law who got it from who knows...
Chicken Butternut Squash Soup
3 small cans of chicken broth (or one carton)
4 cups butternut squash, cut into 1" cubes
1 T. minced garlic
1 large can diced tomato w/ diced green chilies
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Sour cream
Lime juice
Cilantro
Bring chicken broth, squash and garlic to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and add chicken and canned tomatoes. Cook until squash is tender. Serve with sour cream, lime juice and cilantro.
I've also added a can of black beans and that is good too.
