Do you ever do things habitually and not even notice that you do? Things you've done so long that you don't even remember why or when you started? Some of these may end up being bad habits, but some are good, and one of these is what I'm writing about today.
I have a habit of giving thanks when I'm doing mundane tasks. I know there was a big fad (if you can call it that) a couple years ago about deliberately counting and giving thanks for every little thing. This is a good thing to focus on, but I realized at that time that I already did it many times every day.
For example, every morning when I'm making my coffee I am thankful for petty little things. Like electricity to heat my water (and for my cute little tea kettle to heat it with). And then for ground coffee so I don't have to take time to grind it (that's what happens when you buy the cheap stuff!) I then go to the cupboard and pick out my favorite mug-of-the-day. I am thankful that I have so many favorites (I only keep the ones I love), so every morning it's exciting to pick out what coffee cup to use that day. I'm thankful each day that my French press is not broken (the kids unload it from the dishwasher rather carelessly most days). And I'm thankful that I'm getting my essential fatty acids as I put my coconut oil in it and drink it away. Most days it's cold before I get a chance to drink much, but the thankfulness is still there for the ritual of it all.
Another thing I do each day is give thanks for my dishwasher. Every day as I'm loading it I say a few thankful prayers to God for having a dishwasher (because of the amount I dislike doing dishes). And for each dirty dish because they mean that my kids are healthy and able to eat. And that we have enough food to feed them. I give thanks that we're able to share so many meals together as a family, as seen by the many dishes that get washed. I'm also thankful that I'm not pregnant, as dishwashers are NOT made for a big pregnant belly. When I've been pregnant, I give thanks that the discomfort while loading a dishwasher doesn't last forever! I realized recently that I do this each day, and I have no idea how long I've been at it. A good habit to keep up on.
I also pray thankful prayers for friends and family while changing diapers many times each day and while mowing the lawn and hanging clothes on the line (maybe that's why I enjoy them so much). It always happens to be the same people who I pray for, so some people get prayed for a lot more than others, I'd say!
Recently (about 3 weeks ago), we seemed overwhelmed by bad news. Greg's Grandma fell and broke her hip. His uncle had a heart attack. His aunt was also hospitalized for various health concerns. Another family we know lost their 5 year old boy in a tragic accident. My cousin was in ICU intubated with pneumonia and the prognosis was not good for quite some time. A young family we know has been struggling with cancer. A few more friends have injuries, terminal illness, marriage turmoil and perils of different sorts. Although we were doing okay ourselves, we were reminded that we should, "Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." Galations 6:2. When I would notice that I was worrying (about situations that I have no control over), I would try to turn it into a prayer instead. Greg and I both felt the weight of their struggles, but were reminded "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep." Romans 12:15. It was okay to feel that burden. It is actually an honor and a privilege to pray for those we love. Especially when they may not have the strength or faith to pray themselves some times.
The time was rather dark, but God is always faithful. He has reasons for all that we go through. Pain and suffering are part of this fallen world, even if we may not understand it. Tough times often draw us nearer to God, which is such a good thing, but none of us would wish it on anyone. I think of many of the saints in the Bible, and none of them had it easy either. Even God's own children were not very obedient to Him throughout the ages. There certainly is nothing new under the sun and this is how we can rest in His promises and put all our hope and trust in Him!





