Recently we've been faced with a little girl who wants to only wear dresses, and also refuses to wear tights/leggings although it's cold and wintry outside. She claims that she gets too hot, even though they are comfortable. breathable cotton tights (in fun colors and designs). If she doesn't wear them, then she's cold. So, I thought the answer would be some knee high socks, since she only had short little ones.
Since moms like me try to shop where they can, I ended up at Big Lots for some other things and figured we could look for some there to save another trip elsewhere. We found some splendid Minnie Mouse ones there (no plain colors) but then she lost them while we were still in the store. So, back we went to the sock section and found some Dora ones that would fit the bill. We bought them and went on our way.
These worked fine until it was time to go to church and those fantastic socks clashed with every dress she owned. I was fine with her wearing them at home, but try to have her look a little more decent while out and about. While we were at Target another day, I decided to look for some plain colored ones that would match more outfits. While we were there, I was asking Elise what ones she preferred (white or navy). She moaned, "But they're sooo borr-rring! I want those ice cream cone ones over there." (pointing, as she said it in her sorta-Australian accent/lisp) I decided that likely it would be a fight that wasn't worth fighting every time we went out for her to have to wear the "boring" ones, so we didn't buy any.
The next day was Sunday, and she proceeded to pull on her Dora socks (pictured below on left) with her pale pink dress. I kind of groaned at the clashing colors, but knew it was going to have to be okay. Then Greg reminded me, "Well, she is her mother's own daughter!" Yes, yes she is...
| A sampling of my socks, the more colorful, the better! With the famed Dora ones on left |