Friday, September 21, 2012

To quote or not to quote

I hear things quoted pretty often, and am guilty myself of often misquoting things, but here's a few that I'd like to elaborate on, in case you've heard them used.

These quotes are all taken (loosely) from the Bible, and are not only quoted incorrectly much of the time, but also interpreted incorrectly too (or out of context).  

1.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)  "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Jeremiah 29:11 (KJV) For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

This first one has been quoted to me to justify someone's divorce and another person's homosexual lifestyle.  Umm...no and no.  That's not God's plan at all.  If you read the verse in context, you will find that God's plan for these people is the saving of their souls, not their prosperity and fun as is often implied.  Yes, He has plans for His children, but in the end it is the saving of our souls that He's worried about.  If you read the King James Version, it gives a much more accurate picture of not only what this verse means to us, but also what it means to the people held in captivity in Babylon.
 2.

"Moderation in all things, hey?" or "Be moderate in everything".  This has been used to justify plain old sin, lack of convictions, addictive substances, dieting, exercise, and just about everything else.  The real verse  states:  Philippians 4:5  "Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand".  It says nothing about encouragement of things that are not edifying to the body or soul all in the name of moderation.   The dictionary meaning is:  "MODERA'TION, n. [L. moderatio.] The state of being moderate, or of keeping a due mean between extremes or excess of violence.   eg. The General's moderation after victory was more honorable than the victory itself."  I guess I would encourage all of us to shape our behavior after this verse below instead (while adding our overall moderation to the list).  Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

 3.

"God won't give you more than you can handle" is how it's often said.  Well, I just don't know about that.  It says here that he won't tempt you more than you are able.   Being tempted is much different than having your plate full and being overwhelmed.  Or being burdened by health concerns, job concerns or life worries of some sort or another.  Often I think that we underplay helping others or even believing those who are not coping by saying this incorrect phrase.  If someone is overwhelmed and needs help, then we need to believe them, and either help them ourselves or help them seek help.  Here's the verse itself:
1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

For an example of this, I think of the many people who end up taking their own lives.  Why do they get to that point?  Is it their lack of faith that leads them there?  Clearly, no.  They needed help and it was not available to them (whether due to their own reasons or other reasons).  We often don't know why.   Or I think of a mother with many young children facing yet another baby when her husband is away working long hours.  Is she overwhelmed? Yes.  Is she trying to do God's will?  Yes.  Is she less deserving of help than the young new mother with her first baby?  No.  What are her options?  She either handles it or she ditches everything and everyone or she ends up in the nuthouse.  Was she being tempted?  No.  But she had too much on her plate and needed help.  Or I think of the many people in our world's history who died a painful, slow death.  I think of war heroes, martyrs, childbirth, suffering epidemics.  What was their way to escape?  They didn't have one and had to go to the death with their afflictions.  

I believe this verse is more talking about sin type temptations.  Having Jesus in our hearts gives us the strength to endure temptations that may lead us to sin.  We make choices all along the way, with the Holy Ghost dwelling in us guiding us and showing us right from wrong.  I know that in my life, the times I have ended up in sinful places or doing sinful things, I had lots of time and reasons to get out before I got there.  I chose to ignore those "red flags" and thus ended up where I shouldn't have been.  Sometimes sin happens out of ignorance, but most of the time our conscience is a pretty reliable navigator.

Let's not take this verse lightly or use it to minimize someone else's struggles, but rather use empathy and help out when we can.  

I don't claim to be a Bible scholar or anything like it, so if you have a different understanding, please share!  Thoughts?  

(I put in some of my favorite "Shepherdess" pictures for your viewing pleasure.  I absolutely love these old paintings, and wish I owned more of them.  I only own a copy of the first one.)