Monday, July 25, 2011

Baby Thoughts

Since we’re expecting #4 soon here, I’ve been reevaluating what we need and don’t need. All our babies have been super fussy (colic/food allergies/eczema/excessive crying) for the first year of life so our ‘needs’ may be different from others. I thought I'd share my favorites, and then those we've either done without, or had and then gotten rid of for some reason or another.
Needs:
-swing (we love Fisher Price’s cradle swing, as it goes side to side. All 3 (5 now) kids loved that motion but not the front to back motion of other swings). No worries about addiction- they get bored with it as they grow older.  Ours use it for about 6 months and it has been a lifesaver for our fussy babies.
-stroller (umbrella works for most needs (unless you're tall, then they're a pain), but I like a bigger one for all day treks to the zoo, etc),
-bassinet (got for $4 at Goodwill and is still going strong) we have it at our bedside for sleeping in part of the night and the rest we co-sleep,
-cloth diapers (bought used off craigslist almost new), I only use them at home in the day, so a box lasts about 3 months as opposed to 1 box/month with disposables.  Save about $200-300/year.
-mini-rocker (like a bouncy chair but I take baby all over the house with me in it) (that's the baby in the chair, not me!),
-babywearing carrier that you can nurse in (Moby type wrap (newborn), maitei (4-12 mon.) and Ergo(bigger babies)),
-boppy type pillow (made myself for under $5), I have tried other brands/ones, but my homemade one works the best.
-nursing cover (made myself for free for my super wiggly nursers),
-high chair that clamps to table (even easier to clean than the chair mounted type, and little babies love it once they can sit up, because they’re involved with meal time even if they aren't eating yet,
-baby car mirror (one of our babies heads flopped forward and he was too little to pick it back up at 3 weeks old and he was all blue when I looked back in the mirror. I hate to think what would have happened if I didn’t have it and was able to stop the car and readjust him immediately)
-reusable nursing pads (yep, lots and lots of them)
-zip up sleepers (why waste your time with dozens of snaps?)
-gripe water (for fussy babies)

Don’t need:
-double stroller (bought 2 kinds used and sold them too as they were too bulky to steer, plus they were both front heavy with the toddler in front. I do have a double jogger that I use for walks at home, but never take it anywhere as it has a stationary front wheel which makes turning it almost impossible, bought cheap at garage sale),
-johnny jump-up (don’t have a good place in my house for one and worry about back compression with them),
-baby tub (we just shower them with one of us as soon as their umbilical cord falls off. Put a washcloth around them so they aren’t so slippery),
-baby soaps (so many have yucky ingredients, and they don’t need all the extras anyhow),
-hiking backpack (good intentions, just never got used),
-limited clothing (one change for each day of the week, more for new babies, get rid of the rest)

I've also read "The Happiest Baby on the Block" since it was recommended by my sister and sister-in-law who both just had babies this spring. I keep praying and hoping this baby will be 'happier' than the last 3, although am not getting my hopes up. This book recommends the 5-S's (swaddling, swinging, side/stomach, shh-ing, and sucking) so I'm eager to try if these will help. He also explains how they need to be done (precise!), so we'll see. I've read A LOT of books with very little success, but am still trying to be an optimist! Our babies did love swinging (in the swing), but I always felt guilty having them in there endlessly. This book (along with my husband) both state that you can't keep them in there too much if it keeps them happy. Going to try more of that to save my sanity when my arms/head/back/neck are exhausted from carrying them. He says in the book that they'll outgrow it when they're ready, but some babies just need that swinging motion a lot more than others. For the price of a few extra packs of batteries, I'm willing to try it. (later note: LOVE this book.  Works!  Better than any other way, for sure!)

We're also trying different birth options this time, which I'll explain after the fact since I'm not sure how it'll all play out at this time. Prayerfully doing what we feel is best, and praying for wisdom and guidance from above, above all else!

Well, nighty night. I'll try to add more later, if I think of stuff or welcome your ideas too!